Microsoft Windows Server 2016
The cloud has put new demands on your business to make changes faster in order to compete effectively. As a business you have decisions to make every day, about how to balance the traditional IT responsibilities with cloud innovation. Although at the same time, your business may face an increase in security threats from the outside and within. Because of these reasons and more, businesses are starting to adopt cloud computing at different rates.
Windows Server 2016 is a cloud-reading Operating System which will be seen to support your current workloads while introducing you to new technologies which should make it easy to transition to the cloud computing when you are ready. It would look to help deliver powerful new layers of security along with azure-inspired innovation for the applications and the infrastructures that powers your business.
Add layers of security
For IT Organisation, security is consistently rated as a top priority. There have been many companies in the news for security breaches and failing to protect their employees and customer’s personal information.
The operating system lives and works at the strategic layer in your environment, which makes it an ideal location to introduce the new capabilities for security and control.
Windows Server 2016 will give you the new capabilities to prevent attacks and detect any suspicious activity with features to control privilege access, protect the virtual machines and harden the platform against any enemy threats.
Evolve your infrastructure
The Windows Server 2016 delivers the capabilities to help you create a more flexible and cost-effective datacentre by using a software-defined compute, storage and network virtualisation features which are inspired by Azure.
Run your datacentre with a highly automated resilient, virtualised server operating system.
- To reduce your datacentre footprint, increase the availability and reduce the resources usage with “just enough OS” by using the Nano Server deployment option, which has an image that is 25x smaller than Windows Server 2016 with the full desktop experience.
- Upgrade the infrastructure clusters to Windows Server 2016 with zero downtime for your workload and without needing to require new hardware, using the mixed-mode cluster upgrade.
- Increase the application availability with the improved cluster resiliency to short-termed failures in the network and storage.
- Automated server management with the PowerShell 5.0 and desired state configuration.
- Be able to manage the Windows Servers from anywhere using the new web-based GUI – the Server management tools – which are especially useful for managing the headless deployment of options such as Nano Server.
- You can deploy applications on the multiple operating systems with the best-in-class support for Linux on the Hyper-V.
Reduce cost storage
Windows Server 2016 will include expanded capabilities in the software-defined storage with an emphasis on resilience, reduced the costs and increased the control.
- Build a highly available and scalable software-defined storage solution which is at a fraction of the cost for the SAN or NAS. The storage spaces direct use the standard servers with local storage to create converged or hyper-converged storage architectures.
- To create affordable business continuity and the disaster recovery among datacentres with a storage replica synchronous storage replication.
- Ensure that the application users have priority access to the storage resources by using the quality-of-services features.
The Windows Server 2016 delivers key networking features which are used in the Azure datacentres to help support the agility and availability in your datacentre.
- Be able to deploy and manage the workloads across their entire lifecycle with the hundreds of networking policy (for example; isolations, Qos, security, switching, routing, DNS, load balancing, gateway, etc.) in a matter of a few seconds using the scalable network controller.
- Dynamically segment your businesses network based on the workload needs to be using a distributed firewall and network security groups, to apply rich policies within and across the segments. Layer enforcement by routing the traffic to virtualised firewall appliances for an even greater levels of security.
- Take control of your hybrid workloads, which includes running them in containers and then moving them across server, racks, and clouds by using standard-based VXLAN and NVGRE overlay networks and the multi-tenanted hybrid gateways.
- You can optimise your cost/performance ratio when you converge RDMA and the tenant traffic on the same teamed NICs, will drive down the cost while providing the performance at 40G and beyond.
Support applications innovation
Windows Server 2016 will deliver new ways to deploy and run your applications, whether it is on the premises or in the Microsoft Azure by using capabilities such as Windows containers and the light weight Nano Server deployment option.
Windows Server 2016 editions
- Windows Server 2016 Datacentre – This is for the highly virtualised datacentre and the cloud environments.
- Windows Server 2016 Standard – This edition is for physical or minimally virtualised environments.
- Windows Server 2016 Essentials – This edition will be for the small businesses with up to 25 users and about 50 devices.
Azure Hybrid use benefit
When your company is ready to make the transition with your workload to the public cloud, you will be able to leverage your existing investment in the Windows Server.
The Azure Hybrid use benefit will let you bring your on-premises Windows server licence with software assurance to Azure. Rather than paying full price for a new Windows Server virtual machine, you will only be paying the base compute rate.
For more information please visit our website:
or call us on 0208 123 6164